Causes of Acquired Myopathies
Acquired muscle diseases are of the following types:
- Inflammatory (Myositis = swelling in the bundles of muscle fibers)
- Endocrine: Thyroid and other diseases
- Metabolic: Kidney disease, protein deficiency, deficiency of vitamin D (Osteomalacia) or vitamin E
- Drugs and Toxins: Snake poison, alcohol, pethidine, glucocorticoids, statins and clofibrate (for high cholesterol), chloroquine, colchicine, phenytoin (for epilepsy), zidovudine (for AIDS), vincristine (for cancer), and other drugs
- Infections: Bacteria, viruses (HIV), and parasites
- Others: Sarcoidosis, cancer, etc.